UK online casinos – How to play secure
Betting/gambling, in one form or the other, has been a source of entertainment for man since time immemorial. The advent of the internet and its every increasing applications and convenience has taken the game of wagers to another level altogether. With the passing of the Free Trade & Processing Act in 1994 by Antigua and Barbuda in the UK, licences were granted to organizations for opening online casinos. Gradually online gambling gained popularity in the UK and with the introduction of multiplayer online gambling options, players could interact and chat with each as well as gamble online.
After its establishment under the Gambling Act of 2005, the UK Gambling Commission has assumed responsibility for the regulation of online gambling in the UK and has also taken over the running of the National Lottery since 2013. The Commission has the power to grant as well as revoke gambling licences of online operators.
Find the best casino sites for players in the UK
As online casinos are thoroughly legalized and regulated in the UK, it is very easy for online gamblers to find safe and trustworthy sites for placing their bets. The UK citizens have access to some of the biggest and best online casinos which are operated by the well known service providers. However, selecting a site based on its name alone is not enough. Long standing reputation of the service provider needs to be considered as well, though it should not be the only criteria.
Regulation in the UK
Online Casinos in the UK are not only legal, but also completely regulated by the UK Gambling Commission, established under the UK Gambling Act of 2005. Service providers of online gambling sites in the UK have to be approved and licensed by the Commission, which ensure that:
- the online services are crime free
- the operators maintain transparency in their dealings and
- children below the age of 18years are not allowed memberships
The Gambling Commission issues licences in the following gaming areas :
- Betting Services
- Bingo Games
- Casino Games
- Gambling Software
- Gambling Machines
- Remote Gambling
Any service provider operating without a valid license issued by the UK Gambling Commission is in direct violation of the law and if an online gambler opts for these service providers, he has no recourse to any kind of legal aid should there be an instance of cheating or fraud.
Most played games in the UK
The most played and popular online games in the UK have been found to be roulette, poker and the slot machines. People seem to be enjoying spinning the roulette wheel or shuffling a deck of cards or even the sweet sounds of a slot machine jingle from the comforts of their homes through their laptops, tablets or even mobile phones.
Biggest Jackpots in the UK
With information floating around on the internet, it is extremely easy to get your facts and figures in place, especially when you plan on winning big and playing even bigger. Average percentage payout by online casinos is tabulated and made released by eCOGRA on a monthly basis – this data is usually available through links provided on the homepages of online casinos. Based on the latest payout figures, following are the top 6 paying online casinos in the UK –
NetBet: NetBet has been in the business of online gaming for 15 years. The casino’s USP lies in the customisation of important factors like language, currencies and payout options. NetBet’s payout rate at times has reached over 98%
Thrills Casino: Thrills Casino is a relatively new player on the block, but has a payout rate of almost 97.50%. As the name suggests, Thrills Casino is based on tingling the players hunger for thrills and adventures and offers games from top gaming software giants including Microgaming and Playtech.
Mr Green: Mr Green has won the Casino Operator of the Year Award for 3 consecutive years from 2012-2015 held by the Gaming Intelligence Awards. Mr Green Casino enjoys a payout rate of 97.38%. Their marketing campaigns highlight the fun and excitement of online gaming and contribute to a great extent to the websites steady gamer traffic.
Casumo Casino: Despite being a new player on the block, Casumo has a tremendous payout rate of 97%. The gamification of the casino is a distinct feature that helps Casumo stand out and attract ever increasing number of players in this competitive field of online casinos.
Partycasino: Catering to the casino hungry gaming community on the internet, partycasino is an offshoot of the famous partypoker website. It is one of the best online casinos in the industry today. With 100s of games to choose from, partycasino players are definitely spoilt for choice. The website is user friendly and boasts of a payout rate of 96.50%
Leo Vegas: Leo Vegas has a stable full of games catering to the vast and varied tastes of gamers. They have an overall payout percentage of 96.50% with games developed by some of the best creators in the industry.
Payment Methods and Potential Fees:
After creating your account of any of the online casino websites, you need to make an initial deposit in your gaming account. This is one of the biggest hurdles for new online gamer as they are rather apprehensive about virtually disclosing their personal details in order to move cash in and out of their accounts.
Most service providers are aware of their customers’ apprehensions and always on the lookout to ease money matters for them. Almost all the service providers give you the option of paying through:
- Credit Card
- Debit Cards
- Bank Transfer
- Money Transfer
- Western Union
- Money Gram
- Bank Cheques
Once you make the payment, the money is added to your account and you will be able to start playing.
As with regular gambling, online casinos too can be addictive. It is, therefore, important for the player to be prudent and study the rules mentioned on each website thoroughly before placing bets (even though you may have played the game before). It is also important to keep the following tips in mind :
- Try new games: The biggest advantage of playing online casino is the wide range of games on offer. Even if you have a favourite game, you always have the choice of trying your hand at new games. This is one thing we always recommend.
- Lookout for progressive jackpot offers: Another advantage of playing online is that you always have access to progressive jackpot offers, i.e. offers which keep accumulating until someone wins. Nothing ventured, nothing gained should be your mantra here. Please note, no way are we advising you to risk your fortune on a single jackpot, however, betting a little more than you normally would, could win you a small jackpot.
- Subscribe to receive newsletters and updates: It is always good to stay updated and informed about the new offers and games on a particular gaming site and hence subscribing to newsletters is a good idea as offers on gaming sites are usually time bound. Such subscriptions minimise the possibility of missing out on offers and updates.
- Read the bonus terms and conditions: Online casinos usually offer good bonuses, however these are ridden with terms and conditions. Therefore, it is of paramount importance that you read and understand the same to avoid any possibility of losing out on a bonus prize.
- Withdraw your winnings: Online casino players usually put off withdrawing their winnings to a later date. As money is easily available in the casino accounts, players tend to bet more and end up losing a sizeable amount of their winnings. We, therefore, cannot stress the importance of regularly withdrawing your winnings, if not all, major portions of it to your bank accounts.
- Take a break and monitor your spending: Playing online casino games from the comforts of your home is undoubtedly enjoyable, but it is also highly addictive. It is important to take a break every now and then and to stay in control of not only yourself, but also the game. Limit your spending – money and time and enjoy the games for the sheer pleasure they bring you.
Do bear in mind, there are bound to be good and bad days – winning is no doubt good, but as with any other game, you have to be prepared for losing as well. The fact that change is the only constant holds true for online casinos as well. On one hand there are service providers who are always striving to improve their standards and on the other, there are those who fail to maintain their standards. Remember, its your hard earned money that’s on the line, think hard and think well before selecting a game and placing your bets.